The point on my writing compass is that phrase, creatively genuine. I believe in the power of true stories and in creative techniques to tell them.
I’m Dave, and I have experience in every imaginable platform of storytelling.
From riding Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign bus across Pennsylvania to backpacking the stillness of the south Arizona desert, from train accidents garnering national media attention to the messiness of being a stay-at-home father, I’m deeply grateful for all the experiences I’ve had in the craft of storytelling.
And I’m just getting started.
I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and grew up in rural Lancaster County, Pa. After graduating from Elizabethtown College, Pa., with a degree in English-Professional Writing and a minor in Mass Communications, I ventured into newspaper and magazine journalism.
At the end of 2011, I veered into corporate public and media relations for Norfolk Southern, making me the sixth consecutive generation of my family to work for a railroad.
I stayed in that position for five-and-a-half years covering every media outlet, large and small, between Chicago and New England, on call for 24 hours a day every day of the week to handle media inquiries.
Something else called me, though.
I left Norfolk Southern in May 2017 to reignite my writing career and to help build the life my wife, Alison, and I envision for our two young sons. We’re well on our way. I’m a magazine columnist now, publishing the monthly Dad Diaries for Susquehanna Style Magazine, as well as other freelance writing projects.
Besides living the writing life, here’s what else you should know:
- Butterscotch. I devour butterscotch candies, ice cream topping, pudding, cake, and icing as if it will disappear tomorrow.
- I am a devoted fan of singer-songwriter Josh Ritter – brilliant lyricist, storyteller, heartfelt Americana. You won’t find a musician who loves performing for his audience as much as him.
- My favorite movie of all time is the infinitely quotable Bull Durham. So many life lessons wrapped up in one hour and 48 minutes.
- I successfully completed a wedding photography course at the Mid-Atlantic Regional School of Professional Photography.
- One of my images — a nostalgic look at amusement park swings — is featured in How to Photography Everything, published by Popular Photography.
- Devoted fan of the Cincinnati Reds and hoping that championship they won when I was 11 won’t be the last of my lifetime.
- The six generations of my railroading family began in the 1880s when my Irish forefathers left County Tipperary for Louisville, where they took jobs with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Other railroads in my family include the New York Central, Baltimore & Ohio, Penn Central, Conrail, and Norfolk Southern. Every Christmas around the tree, I run an HO-scale train of freight cars commemorating those railroads and the hard labors of my family, pulled by an NS locomotive.
- Something like Heaven for me can be found between Sedona, Arizona, and Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah.
Please contact me at email@example.com for more.